Moki's appointment at UC Davis today, lasted 3 and 1/2 hours. The neurologist did a progress check, took two x-rays, one of the thorax and one of the tibia/fibula. He then consulted an orthopedic surgeon. We decided to have a thorax x-ray taken to check for fluid in Moki's lungs since he has been coughing. The good news is that the thorax x-ray came back good. No fluid was present. The tibia/fibula x-ray was taken because Moki's back leg is showing signs of being twisted outwards. (Basically he is walking on the inner side of his back leg.) We decided to take an x-ray and have the orthopedic surgeon look at the structure of Moki's leg to see if he could determine the cause. We suspected that structural damage to his leg was occuring either as a result of Moki's neurological disorder making it difficult to walk, or possibly being a secondary symptom of some infectious disease. After reviewing the tibia/fibula x-ray, the orthpedic surgeon concluded that the structural damage was most likely a result of the muscles being pulled/shorten because of the impact the neurological disorder has left on Moki's ability to walk. In other words, he does not believe the damage to Moki's leg is a result of an infectious disease.
The neurologist is now referring us to a physical therapist to see if they can show/teach us some exercises to prevent further damage to Moki's leg. Unfortunately, the orthopedic surgeon believes that the damage which has already been done to Moki's leg, may be irreversiable. The x-rays where the good news, now for the bad. Since Moki developed new symptoms every time we take him off an antibotic, the neurologist has recommended the following, we are to keep Moki in the antibotic for another month. At the end of this time, we are going to take Moki off the antibotic and see which symptoms develop. If Moki's coughing returns, we are to have another chest x-ray taken. The neurologist mentioned that Moki's chest x-ray taken today may have come back clean as a result of being on the antibotic. Where as had Moki not been on the antibotic, they may have spotted something which could have given them a further clue as to what Moki is actually suffering from. Now as for further dianostic testing. The neurologist is still at a lost as to what is behind Moki's neurological disorder. He and the other team of Doctors he consulted with at UC Davis have never seen anything quite like Moki's case before. After doing the neurology progress check, the neurologist concluded that the most likely causes of Moki's condition are either an infectious disease, the dry form of FIP being the most likely, or a congenital birth defect in which case, Moki may have been born without a fully developed cerebellum. The MRI will allow the neurologist to take a closer look at the size of Moki's cerebellum and rule the congenital birth defect out if the cerebellum appears fully developed on the image. The CSF Tap (spinal tap) will help them rule out possible infectious diseases, including dry FIP as much as possible. If the MRI and the spinal tap turn up no answers, and given the fact that UC Davis has never seen anything quite like Moki's case before, the neurologist also said that it was possible that we could also be dealing with a new disease which has never before been seen. If we turn up no results with the MRI, and spinal tap, and this does turn out to be some new form of disease, the best we can do is treat whatever Moki's symptoms may be, and do an autopsy after Moki's death to hopefully learn more about the disease and prevent other animals from being inflicted by it. So for now we are back to square one. Other than meeting with a physical therapist to help Moki's leg, there is nothing further that the neurologist can do until we raise enough money to cover the cost of Moki's MRI and spinal tap. With all of that said, I want to end this post on a happy note. To our favor, the neurologist said that Moki is receiving the best of care and that he cannot recommend my doing anything different in regards to the way I have been taking care of Moki. He said that whatever I have done and been doing seems to be working, and I should continue down the same path, since it seems that in doing so I am providing Moki with the best possible care!